Ali's Blogs the Precurser

This is based on true events and lives. I cannot promise everything to be child friendly. Infact I KNOW things will not be child friendly. Commandments will be broken, Risks will be taken, Sexual things will be persued, and Swearing will happen. Hey this is life!! Live and let live...

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Wanderlust: Calls from Mexico

As I already have informed you I am a horrible blogger as of late. 
In fact, I have not updated my blog since February. 
By all means, run from me NOW.

   I do however want to tell you where I am currently blogging from. Mexico. Can you believe it? I am sitting in a hotel in the middle of the Yucatan! I have been to at least 8 Mayan ruins 4 different cenotes and 2 beaches. And guess what the best part is... I still have two weeks left!! 

Have you ever been swimming in the Gulf of Mexico? I have several times. Every time I am amazed at the enchanting beauty of the sea and it's cream white beaches.  I get lost in the awe of being able to see the ocean floor even when my feet can no longer touch it. I enjoy the fact that the higher salt content allows me to float when in fresh water I sink like a cannon ball. Even shelling in the shallows seems a little more mystical. I can find whole conch shells instead of just bits and pieces of partially eroded ones.  I am never one for tanning though. Even relaxing on the beach is for the enjoyment of a good book, soft music and the crash of the Mayan blue waves upon the shore. 

But the Gulf has only been a minimal portion of my trip. I have climbed every mountain so to speak. Temple to be exact. I am here to study the Mayan culture. Remember that post about adding to my major? Well, this is where it takes me. Viva La Mexico! I am learning about the past cultures of the meso-americans. Did you know the Mayans (you know 2012) kept a better count on days and years than we could until about 1582 when the Gregorian Calendar was formed by Pope Gregory XIII. Due to Protestant Reform only four countries actually converted. It did not take affect for Britain/ British Empire(USA) until 1752 and the last hold out was Greece not converting until 1923.  They were around since 2000 b.c. the last civilization of Mayans ended with the Conquest of Mexico by the Spanish starting in 1511 by trying to enslave and convert the indigenous. But now I am teaching. 

I am having a blast. I am making new friends. I am improving my limited Spanish.  All with a study abroad program for 6 credit hours. What are you doing with your summer?


Until the Fates Let Us,

Ali

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're having a good time! I've been watching your pics on FB. Keep enjoying yourself and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

randomized genre